First UMC has been part of Shelbyville since before the city was founded. Methodists here began meeting together in 1821, and by 1825, had organized themselves as a congregation.
Since 1852, the church building has stood on West Washington Street, and the current sanctuary was dedicated in 1968.
In 1929, the congregation built The Methodist Building on Shelbyville’s public square, embodying the church’s commitment to civic life.
Twenty senior pastors and dozens of associate pastors have served the congregation in the last 100 years.
Members of First UMC have come from all walks of life, from all different neighborhoods and backgrounds, from “cradle Methodists” to brand-new-in-the-faith – but all have been committed to faith in Christ and service to others.
Through the years, First UMC has lived its faith in the heart of Shelbyville, and today, we serve our city with the love of Christ.